Friday, October 22, 2010

Stick a fork in me.

I'm so tired I can't make myself even try to sleep.

Granted, sitting around a hospital waiting room doesn't sound all that exhausting, but somehow it is, especially when you've been up since 4 and are worrying about someone you love while families gather and laugh and talk and share concern and kill time all around you while sucking down Starbucks concoctions. (Genius, having a Starbucks across from the main waiting room. Even I succumbed, and I find their coffee to be only OK.)

As for me, the bag holding Steven's belongings broke and my phone died far too early in the day, my contacts got hopelessly foggy and the book I'm currently reading is too depressing to keep me terribly committed to finishing it.

Hours do have a way of passing, though.

Steven's orthopedist was four feet tall and had a Napoleon complex and talked to me like I was a six-year-old with a severe learning disability.

I was allowed to go back to recovery after he'd been there almost two hours, and he was still groggy and IN PAIN and nauseated and seemingly very surprised and kind of ticked off that he wasn't ready to hop out of bed and drive home.

The important thing is that the surgery went well, and bones and ligaments are back where they should be. Steven is worse for wear but I'm hoping the fact that he went to bed at 7 tonight and hasn't made a peep since bodes well for his feeling at least marginally better tomorrow.

My parents came over at the crack of dawn so they'd be here to get Alex off to school and to stay with Katherine until we came home, which turned out to be nine-plus hours later. Thank God for family.

No comments:

Post a Comment