Thursday, October 14, 2010

My kid doesn't like me. Does that make me a good mom?

Well this seems blogworthy, if only to document the date and time of Alex's first outright tantrum. I know, I know, we got lucky when he was little. He was more of a stomper-off-to-his-room, which turned out to be a good thing since it gave him a place to vent where we didn't have to hear it. But tonight, oh. my. lord. I came into the conflict in the middle, so I'm not sure what happened except that he was playing DS and forgot to watch his wind-down show, which then became my fault even though I wasn't even in the room. Then he hit himself in the face with his DS in frustration, and if you know of DS-gate, you'll know that's a BIG NO-NO. So Steven took the DS away and told him to pick his books. The screaming, yelling, out-and-out freaking continued, even after I gave him to the count of five and then NO books. He calmed down a little but then ramped it up again, so guess what? No books.

Then he turned his unfiltered fury on me.

"MOMMY? I'M NOT GOING TO BE YOUR BEST FRIEND ANYMORE ... IF YOU DON'T GIVE ME ONE MORE CHANCE!"

"MOM? YOU'RE NOT VERY NICE."

"MAMA? I DON'T LIKE YOU RIGHT NOW."

"YOU'RE A BAD MOMMY!"

At which point Steven reached into his hidden pocket of parental tricks and basically silenced the child by, well, telling him to knock it off. Why didn't I think of that?

5 comments:

  1. Umm, this is happens frequently in our house. According to Emily, (yes, the one who has you suckered with her blue eyes) I am the "grossest Mommy ever". That statement is usually coupled with the slamming of her door and then frequent reapperances with more yelling. "I don't like you anymore, I'm never going to listen to you..." Jeff usually threatens death-by-skull- crushing to get her to stop. Maybe I'll have him try the phrase "knock it off". I have my doubts that it will work. Don't get me started on the frustration that the DS causes Elizabeth. She hasn't reached the point of hitting herself with it or bending it, I remind her often of DS-gate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I add:
    I have to remind myself of the reason they take it out on us. They know that we will love them no matter what. We are a safe harbor for their venting and frustration. The mommy takes the most abuse but also gets the most love, hugs and kisses. At least that is what I tell myself to make it a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nana says, what comes around goes around! Bring a child up in the way they should go, and they will not part from it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never see your weaknesses, or they will defeat you!

    ReplyDelete