Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Little Hurts

I'm sitting here on my bed, pondering the two spots of blood that Alex dripped there today when he came in from outside, sobbing hysterically that he'd fallen on the ice and it hurt everywhere EVERYWHERE! And to be honest, it looked pretty bad. Not like one of those barely there scrapes he likes to flaunt and crow about and use up too many Band-Aids for (so that when you ACTUALLY have a bleeding wound from slicing your finger damn near off while chopping potatoes that no one wanted to eat afterward, you have to bind it with Scotch tape). His poor little thumb took the brunt of the accident, skin pushed up and aside to reveal a smoother layer of wannabe skin beneath. And lots of blood. Enough to where, when he started to panic, I lied unabashedly and without a second thought about how when the blood soaks through the Band-Aid, it's just proof that it's doing its job and healing the injury.

He lay next to me in bed (where I'd been napping lightly when he woke me up with that cry that every mother knows, the cry of her child in pain, so different in timbre, texture, and effect than any of those other cries we know so well) until he got himself under control. I think it was the idea of showing it off to Steven that finally won him over. "He'll be really impressed," I told him. "Daddy is easily grossed out."

A smile. That's what I was going for, and I got it. Plus a "Thanks, Mom" for fixing the hurt finger and kissing it even though he's probably too wise-beyond-his-years to think that my kisses have healing powers anymore (if he ever believed that).

It was nice, after our altercation yesterday, when I cut him off mid Mario Kart and told him he was done for the night because I'm not going to have that "Don't freak out when you lose" talk with him again and I have to stick to what I'm calling my Zero Tolerance policy for video-game-related outbursts. At this point I pretty much hate Mario, which is sad, since he was my friend growing up, too. And there are toothmarks in my old NES controllers to prove that I was every bit as irrational as Alex can be when I lost. (But we want better for our own children, don't we?) His "I'm not liking you ever again, and I don't love you anymore, either!" was vitriolic, uncertain at its core, and absurdly short-lived. If I thought it was a useful skill I'd show him how to REALLY hold a grudge. (I don't think it is.)

Today I fixed his finger, and he let me kiss the wound and hug him and treat him almost like a baby, although I was sworn to secrecy about how much he actually cried. So, for the record, he was an almost-silent trouper.

Our princess is growing so fast it's mind-boggling. Someone asked me today, while I was lugging the poor baby through the third store of the morning on a desperate search for biscuit cutters and a rolling pin for a photo shoot I have tomorrow, how old she was. My immediate response, shy by just a few days, of "Seven months," shocked me even as I said it. How can my little girl be over halfway to a year old? How can she be the age Alex was five hundred years ago? They JUST put her on my chest and covered us both with that hot blanket and marveled over the way she just went right to sleep there, two minutes after birth. Not just. Seven months ago. Yikes.

Steven wants her to crawl. I think he is mistaken about the importance of crawling to motor development. It's not necessary, and it's certainly not convenient on the range of handy skills they learn like sitting up, holding their own bottles, putting pacis back into their mouths without assistance ... I think she will be a roller. It seems to require less effort on her part, and my Kat she is lazy. But she has figured out that three rolls off her play pallet on the floor will get her over to the dogs' bed, where she can poke and prod Jack and try to suck on Charlie's tail while they give me silent looks that say, respectively, "Seriously?" and "Is this OK?"

I have work coming in from several corners and am endlessly grateful for all of them. I'm also grateful for a long weekend, Steven's clean bill of health from the orthopedist, and the fact that the biscuits I made for tomorrow's shoot didn't turn out terribly ugly. And that I have a girls' night on Friday, and a husband who is all for it.

2 comments:

  1. Reading your blog brings back memories of "bloody" accidents of Alex's dad, Steven. I was coming home from MDO with Cathy 3, and Steven, 1, when Steven managed to get out of his car seat(while I was driving), he crawled back into the hatchback, and when I turned into the driveway he fell into a screw standing up(he had removed the rubber cap), and hit the back of his head. I got home and got them out of the car, and Steven stood before me to go into the back door, I looked down and blood was running down his neck! I freaked out and saw there was a "hole", punture in the back of his head! I sent Cathy to a neighbor, and took Steven to the ER. Of course I felt like a terriable mother! They did xrays, and said it wasn't that serious. He never even cried! But I felt like a loser of a mother.One of many "guilt" experiences I had.On my 60th birthday, he gave me a birthday card stating. I was one of his best friends in life, I will always treasure that! You will be that "best friend" to your children, you're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as motor skills go, my two boys didn't crawl until they were a year old and didn't walk until 20 months. Our Plunket nurse (maybe pediatric nurse in the US?) laughed and said as long as they were walking before they went to school, it was fine.

    ReplyDelete