Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Only

Tomorrow at 6 a.m. I go in for induction (if that ends up being necessary). My body seemed pretty sure it wanted to do something today but then I took a nap and the contractions fizzled out and now I'm just feeling ... yeah, I have no idea. Whoever said words are my thing?

I just put my baby to bed on the air mattress in his room (his Nana is camping out with him tonight) and got an excellent reminder of the rewards of parenthood. "Here's your hospital hug," he said, squeezing the life out of me, "and I'll give you some energy for tomorrow." Bzzzzhhhhhp. Bzzzzzhhhhhhp. He gave me a double dose.

He's hanging on to a picture of me and gave me one of him to take to the hospital, and this show of age-appropriate self-soothing, this healthy manner of coping with temporary separation and the not-so-distant rush of monumental life change is a lesson I hope to hold on to forever.

"Oh yeah," he added before I shut the door. "Tell the doctor to get the baby out the easy way."

2 comments:

  1. Hi, hon! I just found the link to this site and thought I'd see how you're doing! And - wow, what timing, huh?

    Here's hoping the birth went well and that you'll be able to post pix of your daughter soon!

    Your daughter...that sounds absolutely wonderful, doesn't it?

    Hugs to you and kisses to your little girl,
    Kristen (kcarolj65)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen! It's so great to hear from you. We are home from the hospital now and so happy with our new family member. Yes, I'm still having to remind myself that I do indeed have a daughter. =)

    ReplyDelete