Monday, November 2, 2009

I'll always call Skittles Nickels.

Say what you will, it’s darn funny when a little kid mispronounces something or mangles grammar. When it’s your own kid, it’s darn funny and darn cute. And I don’t say this lightly, as I’m not permitted to because I am a Pseudo-Professional and Occasionally Proud Grammarian and a decent pronunciator (Hush, peanut gallery). Who is prone to sentence fragments. For effect. And sometimes laziness.

That dog on the Peanuts cartoons? Snoofy.

The stuff a bee gets from a flower? Connectar.

The place you stay when you’re on vacation? Hootel.

There is a state, in Alex World, called Ohidaho.

Many Alexisms have, sadly, self-corrected. Wha’ happeen (what happened?). Issat NEWiss (what’s that noise?). Nersh (nose). I have bleed. The endlessly entertaining phase when the consonant cluster “CR” came out “CL” (therefore cricket=clicket, Christmas=Clistmas, and crack=clack. Steven was meaner than I, and often asked the poor kid to say “Chris Kringle crossed the creek.”).

Still, we have “I sleeped good,” “Are you so proud at me?” and “It happened for a long time ago,” among many other gems. I don’t correct him, because I know soon enough he’ll correct himself and it’ll make me sad.

Until then, whenever I need a pick-me-up, I watch the infamous Issat NEWiss video. If you know me (or even select friends of mine) you’ve probably seen it a few dozen times. I’m a little biased, but it’s good for a smile and a maternal pang. What I wouldn’t give to kiss that baldish head again. Click me.

3 comments:

  1. i'll always turn my TV on with a motor troll forever and ever, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohidaho just reminded me of a video I saw once of one of my sister's friends. When she was little, she and her sister would film newscasts and in the one video I saw, she told us of a place called Ohido.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile from ear to ear! thanks! Our little guy (he'll be 4 soon) says "hoe-an-tell" (where you sleep on vacation- hotel!) Which has an ENTIRELY different meaning to adults. I think I blame show and tell at preschool.
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete